Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Leaving the Winter Behind

Well, almost. This is our last week in New England. Today is my last day at the Wired Monk to enjoy coffee and good internet service. Lots to catch up on.

Last Thursday I had a delightful time with Andrew in Boston. We met up near his school, had coffee and caught up on his newly serious academic life. It's great to see him doing something he cares about and something that means so much to the world. Meanwhile I'm making vibrator jokes to amuse a lounge full of people checking their watches so as not to miss the chocolate buffet. But who's counting? Bits aside, G-d bless Andrew. It was great to see him.


Friday: Peter and I nearly died in the tender boat on the way back to the ship. Ok, that's dramatic. It was rough weather, and we had to wait to get close enough to the ship, so we floated around rather violently for nearly an hour. Yikes. It was determined that if we had been the victims of a disaster and there was a movie made about our tender, Peter and I would want to be portrayed by Ben Affleck and Salma Hayek. Our fear was that it would turn out to be Kevin James and Janeane Garoffalo. Bottom line: Martha's Vineyard is lovely, but not worth the terror.
Saturday: NYC! We signed off and spent the night in New York. Everything was awesome. Katy and I got to the discount Broadway ticket window early and I scored a pair of tickets to Cyrano de Bergerac starring Kevin Kline and Jennifer Garner for a ridiculously low price. Tabetha joined me. The show was really good. Kevin Kline was made for this role. Jen was a respectable Roxanne. I couldn't have been happier with my Broadway experience. We checked into our "economically sound" hotel room and then went to Soho to see my friend Paolo's art in the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art. Let's be honest, it was nerd central. But it was great to see Paolo, who has been a friend since high school. He's a hugely talented and successful artist for Marvel Comics, which I am proud of...it's a commodity to have a friend like that in the improv world. I've made many a geek-out occur among my friends. Thanks, Paolo! After that, we walked around the Village, observing the Halloween revelry. Headed to UCB to see what show we could catch and oddly enough ran into a Toronto friend of Tabetha's who was able to rescue us from the stand-by line. Hooray! We saw a team called Ruben Williams, and they were pretty hilarious. After the show, Tab's friend Mike gave us a walking (and eating) tour of the Village, where he's lived for the past year. For the record, Cones is the best ice cream in the city. The weekend finished with a beautiful morning in Central Park, great bagels, and brunch at Bobby Flay's Mesa. OMG. Yes, I actually just typed and irony-free OMG. Bobby Flay, you sir, are a genius.
Yesterday: at sea day. Improv rehearsal, Ugly Betty (finally finished the season 1 DVDs), and the crew Halloween party. Lamely, no costume, but we had a good time.
Here's to New England. It will be missed.

1 comment:

Ali P. said...

sounds lovely, so glad you are well.

Don't you just love Betty? (I haven't been watching this year.)