Tuesday, November 13, 2007

At Sea with Tabetha Wells

Dear Reader, I've been buried in sand for several days now. It was difficult to dig my way out in order to post this blog, but I've finally done it. I am unable to post pictures from the ship, but I will do so asap. In the meantime, please enjoy the most recent company spotlight.

Love,
Nat (spelled backwards is TAN!)

Spotlight on Tabetha Wells!

Tabetha is the company manager for the Second City aboard the NCL Spirit. This means she’s the liaison between the cast and the ship’s management. She’s got the power. But she’s many things…the blonde girl onstage, my lady friend in Pictionary, and my occasional cabin-mate. Luckily for me, she’s the Food Network junkie I am, so she’s the one who made the brunch at Mesa possible while we were in NYC. Runner, foodie, fiancĂ©e…how does she do it? Let’s find out…

Natalie: Tabetha, I notice your comfy blanket. Tell me about it.
Tabetha: This was an after though when I was seeking a more comfortable bed situation. If I increase my comfort with a mattress pad, how much more with a blanket.
N: Great, great. So…the bed is uncomfortable?
T: The bed as it comes is akin to a burlap sack filled with rocks and needles and ferrets.
N: Could you elaborate?
T: Dead ferrets.
N: You’ve been on the Spirit before? How does this experience compare?
T: Coming back is familiar, so it’s better in that respect. Plus my cast is awesome.
N: Good answer. You are currently away from your fiancé, Greg. Three words to describe Greg.
T: Funny, handsome, and wonderful.
N: AW! Are we dating the same guy? Stop! Greg comes on over Christmas. What’s the first thing, minding the brown bag foul, you’ll want to do with him?
T: He’s been on the ship twice, and both times Teppanyaki’s been booked, so maybe that. We’ll probably ditch his family and find a quiet place to watch the water.
N: To leave Greg for a moment…for our readers, how long have you been with the Second City?
T: Ships for the last year, before that on and off since 1997.
N: Horrible question - when did you realize you were funny?
T: That’s like asking a gay person when they knew they were gay.
N: So you’re saying…
T: I’m not gay.
N: No, but you’re saying it’s more nature than nurture. You were born funny and you had to discover it. No spark moment?
T: I didn’t realize you could make a career out of comedy. I had the record Free to be You and Me, there was a Boy Meets Girl “skit” and I knew I wanted to be funny like that.
N: So who is your favorite comedian or comedic actor?
T: My favorite comedians are Jon Stewart, Seinfeld, and Ellen DeGeneres. Tina Fey because of what she’s accomplished…and the facial scar. I love the alumni of Second City who have gone out and done something awesome.
N: Job interview question, where do you see yourself in five years?
T: Married to Greg, living with Scooter and working as a writer for a TV show, satire or sketch show.
N: Back to the ship. What is your favorite thing about ship life?
T: The sound of the ocean.
N: Least favorite thing?
T: Having to break the news that we’re not allowed in crew areas anymore. Or losing a cast member.
N: Do you foresee us losing a cast member?
T: You.
N: Why?
T: Not to scandal or issues…at some point you’ll walk away. Jump overboard.
N: Yikes! That’s a mirror I didn’t want put in front of me.
T: Or James, who may “accidentally” sleep with someone.
N: Which brings me to the obligatory question, who is your favorite cast member?
T: Me. I admire my work and have a lot of potential. My least favorite is James. He’ll accidentally have sex with someone.
N: You’re from Canada. What do you miss most?
T: Colorful money. And the healthcare.
N: If you could only live in one city the rest of your life, in theory, where would it be?
T: New York City. I’d like to be somewhere I won’t run out of stuff to do. If my French was better, I’d say Paris.
N: Lightning round! Vanilla or chocolate?
T: Chocolate
N: Black or brown?
T: Black
N: Rachel Ray or Giada?
T: Rachel Ray
N: Canada or US?
T: Canada
N: What’s the very first thing you’ll do when you get home?
T: Walk my dog in the park. It’s always the first thing I do.
And finally, Tabetha says: “I don’t like the p***y.”

No comments: